Saturday, January 21, 2012

Wentworth Castle







It's taking me a wee while to get back into developing film regularly- I've got lazy-summer-itis- but I am still going through my pictures from home. I do have a soft spot for old houses and crumbling castles so Wentworth made for a good post-festivities walking spot. Wentworth is a huge country house with a fascinating history. The gardens (and deer park) are open to the public and are great fun to wander- I love the mossy smell of old woods. The grounds also have the remains of Stainborough, an 18th-century mock-castle folly- you can climb up one tower and we were rewarded with great, winter-sun-drenched views across the countryside. It's beautiful as a walk alone but the Fitzwilliam family had quite a turbulent and colourful story. As luck would have it, a lovely friend gave me Catherine Bailey's Black Diamonds: The Rise and Fall of a Great English Dynasty as a Christmas present- the introduction alone is intriguing, I can't wait to get reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment